Sunday, July 26, 2009

Could it be any hotter?

This weekend was Katee Gaskills wedding, the only wedding cake I had this year. My Mom and I went to pick up the cake from Lewis and Clark (cause they let me use the kitchen), we packed up the cake and headed off to Lebanon. Before we even got to I-5 problems started. When we turned from Terwilliger to Barbur the middle cake slide right into the side of the car. I stopped when we were on I-5 to fix the problem only to notice the next problem of the silver beads melting. It seriously looked like mercury! All I could think was that we weren't even to Lake Oswego yet and we still had an hour and half of driving, by the time I got there the silver would have run all the way down the cake! Silver stripes! So, my Mom and I decided we were going to have to stop and get some toothpicks and napkins to help absorb the silver and toothpicks to help with the bead part. So, the drive was pretty uneventful, Mom and I kept turning around to see if the cakes were getting worse. We had the air on high, the whole way. By the time we got to the wedding I was shaking I was so cold! When we got there everything was gorgeous! Katee looked great, Sandra looked great! So, now we have to stack the cake, usually not hard and even this time wasn't hard. Most cakes I stack are still really cold, this cake was room temp by the time we got there. When I put the dowels in the cake was kinda soft. We noticed that in all the trees were Yellow Jacket catcher things, so we were a little concerned about the yellow jackets. So, I get the cake all stacked and the ribbon on, the cake looks great! We didn't even need to worry about the silver, some of the beads were drippy but I decided that had I tried to fix it, it would have made matters worse. So, now it came time to put the topper on, from the begining I told Katee that if the topper was too big or heavy I wasn't going to put it on the cake because it could fall off and ruin the cake or something. This topper as you can see in the picture isn't too big and doesn't weigh very much. So, I decide because of the softness of the cake to put dowels in under it to hold it up. I do this and then when I put the topper on I realize it's front heavy. Since the bride is jumping on the grooms back it is front heavy, so when I stuck it on the cake I felt like it was going to
roll down the front. So, I went and found Sandra (Maid of Honor) told her of the problems and we went back took pictures had the photographer take pictures and then removed the topper and put it back in it's box. Also there were bugs trying to get on the table, but no worries they were under the Orange over lay. Man the problems of having a wedding outside in 90 + degree weather! Turns out everything was fine, the cake didn't melt and fall apart, everyone loved it!

Here's the picture!

2 comments:

Nicole B. said...

what a fiasco! Glad it turned out ok.

Jack G. said...

Very nice save. The cake looks great!