Saturday, April 25, 2009

Creepy Candyland House

Last weekend Tori and I were headed to this fun bar called the Blitz for her brother Adam's birthday. We got there early so we decided to keep driving down Milwaukee Avenue. While driving we saw this creepy house covered in fake candy and cookies with candy canes and a giant Christmas stocking with all sorts of candy coming out the top. There was an OPEN sign out front so we thought we should stop and see the madness. When we got to the front walk, and there were painted jelly beans all the way up to the house. Back at the car I suggested we leave a trail of crumbs to find our way back in case the wicked witch was planing on cooking us....just as in Hansel and Gretel. The inside was by far the worst part, the walls were covered with half naked fairies and woodland scenes. They sold several different kinds of candy, they also sold cookies and doughnuts that looked really fake. While Tori and I were in the other room we over heard the owners talk about the church down the way and how they were helping bring the neighbor hood kids to the church. Tori and my first thought were Really, they are Christians... cause that's what we need more crazies! We walked into the next room and the owners who were surprisingly normal looking (it would have been like if my parents just decided one day to cover there house with fake cookies and candy) asked us if it was our first time. Then they told us how the room around the corner with the trees was featured in the movie "the Hunted". Those of you not familiar with that movie it is about how this man is being hunted by the FBI for shooting men in the woods and quartering them like deer! That doesn't seem weird at all!
As we are walking around the house we notice that every inch of this house is painted or has a fake cookie glued to it. In the back yard there are some velvet robes leading to a Jesus statue. Now I am not opposed to being out there with your faith. But, I don't think I would ever allow my children to go to this house alone! Finally Tori and I are creeped out enough that we decide to leave. As Tori and I walk out the owner says "hey it's your first time right?" Tori is on the front porch and I am just walking out the door when I turn around and say Excuse me? He says "you get a free cookie your first time in" So, being nice we say "oh OK" so he takes us into the room with the "real" cookies to chose which one we want. While we decide he leans in close to Tori and says "you know, they are all good!" So we chose Chocolate chip and practically run out.
Here is a picture of the house that I took with my Cell phone. Now you can't really see just how creepy it is, but if you are ever headed into SE Portland and coming over the Ross Island bridge, just take a right at Milwaukee (by the Aladdin theater) and just keep driving it's on the left side of the road.


Last week was the last week that I had my Chinese helper Maozhu in the bakery. On her very last day she wanted me to decorate this cake for the Japanese student. On top of the cake she wanted Japanese Characters that said Friend to stand up. So, I told her I would do my best. Here is what I ended decorating for her. She basically came up with the design and I decorated it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I have seen that house on the Food Network!

Mel G. said...

I was thinking that I saw it on FoodNetwork, but I think it is one similar, but in the South somewhere. And thinking about that, the South is where a house like this would look entirely appropriate! How was the cookie? Did you even try it?