Friday, September 26, 2008

My typical day with both jobs...

You might be thinking that waking up at 2:45am is just dreadful! Well, It kinda is. I usually wake up hoping that my phone is ringing or someone it texting me but it's always my alarm. I will snooze the alarm once but only once because I know that if I do again there is about 72% chance that I won't wake up until Carolyn calls me at 4am, to say I am late. So, I roll out of bed and flip the light on to see Murphy looking all distorted and mad because I am making him go outside. As he is outside I find the Starbucks uniform of Khaki pants and black polo that are most likely on my floor. I would like you all to believe that I am the type of person that folds my clothes after wearing them and puts them away or into the dirty laundry container. If you know me at all, you know that is soooo not the truth! I have tried to be that person but it doesn't work...I have come to grips with it, you should too! I don't usually shower in the morning on the days that I open, only because my 10 minute shower turns into 30 minutes. It takes everything in me to turn off the hot water. I don't know why Tori's house has so much hot water, the last 2 places I have lived you had at the most 7 minutes to get your showering done. As soon as I am dress I leave and head to work, I usually get there about 30 minutes early, if I fall asleep in my car waiting that's ok, falling asleep at home is not! When Carolyn arrives we both go into the store and start the opening process. We usually spend a lot of the morning complaining about the close the night before. We ponder why the 3 people closing couldn't find the time to fill the ice bin. They always leave a note saying "sorry about the close, we were really busy!" even though they are expected to be there till 10:15pm and probably left around 10:00pm. Filling the ice bin takes at the most 2 minutes depending on just how retarded you are! We finally open at 5:00 am and don't usually serve any one till about 5:30am. Then the regulars start flooding in starting with chopper guy, neck tattoo, Iced 5 shot venti vanilla latte guy, the funny grande coffee guy, extra caramel frapacchino lady who smells bad, lady that wears too much perfume, Chai guy who I hate....oh the list goes on and on and on.
around 8:30 am it gets really busy and the shift manager gets really quite hoping that I will forget that I have to leave at nine to start my commute to the other side of town. So, I start saying in the midst of calling back drinks "I gotta leave, Decaf iced venti with room americano, really I have to leave, Double tall nonfat no whip pumpkin spice latte, really guys I need someone to take over my spot" Eventually the next person on wanders out from the back to take my spot and I clock out grab my Iced Venti no classic green tea lemonade (which lights up my morning). I jump in the car and take off towards my house.
I sometimes depending on how much time I have, will go home and let Murphy out. Mostly I go straight to Lewis and Clark and try to find a parking spot near my building. Once I have parked I run into the kitchen walk back to the bakery and say good morning and drop off my purse. I then head over to the uniform rack and search through the pants to find medium with draw strings. Sometimes they have them and sometimes I have to wear the larges. I don't like sharing pants with everyone I work with but it makes me feel better that the ones that really gross me out are a lot bigger then a size medium. The pants are elastic band with drawstring and tapered leg. I personally feel that whoever came up with the tapered leg look should have been shot. It's one thing if they are skinny legs all the way down but another thing when they poof out at the hips and then taper down to tiny little ankles. These pants seriously were made for people with the "Frontal Butt" or in the medical world it is known as a "Panis". Seriously I have room to fit a fairly large watermelon in the front of my pants! Really, I am not lying to you! The jackets I don't have a problem with, They are always the same. The changing room is our bathroom with one stall and about five feet wide. So, you have to be quick with you changing pants because if the door opens anyone walking by sees you naked. My day in the actual bakery is mostly uneventful. Marty my boss goes over the list he wants me to do for the day which the list usually takes me 4 or maybe 5 hours. I will make what we need for dinner around 800 pieces of dessert with 5 different choices including 1 vegan choice.
The rest of the day goes by without too much craziness. I try to leave work at 6:30 pm for my full 8 hours...but sometimes there just isn't enough for me to do. When I go home Murphy is sitting an the couch barking at the leaves falling until I walk in and he runs over to greet me. I try to relax for an hour and half and then head off to bed only to start the whole day over again. I know I have made it sound glamorous but it's not as great as it sounds.

3 comments:

Mands said...

Oh Mandy. Your life makes me smile... especially since Gracie and I get to see you and hear your great stories every week. Thanks for playing today!

Hannah said...

Okay, so you must sill be logged on my machine here because it was me (Hannah B.) that commented, not you. (in case you were confused by that). =)

Nicole B. said...

Panis! LOL!