Monday, January 3, 2011

Quilting Class

Way back last year sometime, I mentioned at work to my Pastry Chef Chelsea, that I thought it might be fun to learn to quilt. I do really think it would be fun, but after I told her that I filed that dream away. I figured I would probably never learn how and it would just be a dream like me learning to street fight or becoming an Olympic Swimmer (referring back to the August of 2008 blog titled I love the Olympics). Right as the semester started at Lewis and Clark, Chelsea told me she found a quilting class for us to take if I was interested. Well, I never thought she was actually going to find a class for us to take. My response was...of course I am interested!
We signed up picked out our fabrics and I headed to Vancouver for class. Well, The thing is, I haven't sewn since 6Th grade. I don't remember how to use a sewing machine and really all I made in class was an apron. I figured that it can't be brain surgery I am sure I can figure it out! So, me being me, I waited until the night before the 2ND class where Block 1 was to be finished to start working on it. Luckily enough I have this fantastic friend named Hannah who invited me to her parents house to sew with her. I got there and thankfully Nancy (Hannah's Mom) was there to help. Between Hannah, Nancy and I we got the first block done. Wow, Sewing can be very complicated. I had no idea. We had so much fun that we talked about starting our own quilting club!
I went to the class the next day but couldn't find my book or block. All I could think was that I left it on top of my car and lost it somewhere in SE Portland. Long story short...the book and block somehow maneuvered its self between the passenger seat and the door, then slid all the way under the seat. Not to sure how it did that!
the second block I did, I worked on all by myself and it's kind of a mess up close but I am still proud of it...seriously 6Th grade was the last time I remember sewing!

Here are the pictures of my blocks!
The Fabric


Block 1


Block 2


2 comments:

Nancy said...

Wow! you blocks look terrific! I still want you to come over so we can quilt together, but you are doing great with this project on your own!

Unknown said...

Was just looking at these photos of your sewing... I've always loved your cake designs, and these photos remind me of them! Nice work!